Sunday, July 25, 2004

Technorati's priorities

Steve Rubel criticizes Technorati for emphasizing marketing over engineering:
    I love Technorati, but this smells like dot com spirit all over again. Where's the moolah coming from to support a PR team of five? Hiring a PR firm before you can handle demand and squash bugs is looking for trouble. Hope they are ready for all the added attention.
I've personally had some problems with the performance, stability, and completeness of Technorati's search. I'm hopeful that Adam Hertz, Technorati's new VP of Engineering, will be addressing these issues quickly.

Update: After being frustrated by slow and failed Technorati searches again today, I think I'm starting to agree with Jason Calacanis.

Update: David Sifry (CEO of Technorati) acknowledges and apologizes for their scaling problems and outages.

1 comment:

Greg Linden said...

Thanks, Adam. I certainly didn't mean to criticize your abilities. After all, you've only been at Technorati for a week or so at this point. I'm impressed if you have been able to make substantial infrastructure changes in that short time.